|Contact||Dr. Carly Hall, Infection Prevention and Control Nurse, University Hospitals Bristol Foundation NHS Trust|
|Address||Bristol Royal Infirmary, Upper Maudlin St, Bristol, BS2 8HW|
What is being done?
The project aims to familiarise staff in all clinical areas of University Hospitals Bristol with ‘This is me’, a simple leaflet devised by the Alzheimer’s Society to support people with dementia in an unfamiliar environment such as hospital.
What is new and different?
The person-centred approach
- Helps staff really get to know the person behind the dementia/confusion
- Is used and liked by all staff groups: Nurses, Doctors, Domestics, Allied Health Professionals, Volunteers
The project was 2011 winner of Davison Nursing and Midwifery Scholarship, a Trust run award sponsored by Above and Beyond.
What difference this seems to be making
- Positive comments from carers/relatives/staff
- Good feedback from South West Dementia Partnership Peer Review team
- Use audited internally on an ongoing basis
- A number of patients bringing their personalised ‘This is me’ back if re-admitted to hospital
- Used in a variety of clinical areas
Plans for taking the project forward
- Continued education about benefits of ‘This is me’
- Ongoing audits indicating levels of availability and use
- Promoted by Dementia Champions