This document explains the evidence that has been used in designing the service to support people with dementia, whether living at home or in care homes, as well as dementia-specific elements of other Communities. The information is designed for use by commissioners for business case purposes.
Key points include:
- People with more advanced dementia may have complex needs that fluctuate from day to day
- Current service models are not meeting the challenges that dementia presents
- Managing behaviours that challenge in dementia is important
- Primary care should support people with dementia to live at home and in care homes
- Most people with dementia live at home
- Access to intermediate care, reablement and rehabilitation services is key