This resource developed by the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) aims to support people working in hospitals to apply five principles for improving the quality of care and support for people with dementia and their carers.
Working with people with dementia and carers, the RCN and a range of stakeholders have developed principles for the care of people with dementia in general hospitals.
These five principles form a shared commitment to improving care.
SPACE – supporting good dementia care
- Staff who are skilled and have time to care.
- Partnership working with carers.
- Assessment and early identification.
- Care that is individualised.
- Environments that are dementia friendly.
Based on evidence gathered from people with dementia, carers and practitioners, each principle is considered essential to ensure the appropriate delivery of care. Each principle has a checklist to help identify achievements and areas for further development.