Useful factsheet on the diagnosis of dementia and early intervention in primary care published by the Royal College of General Practitioners.
- Dementia is an increasingly important public health issue, due to our rapidly ageing population
- Short term memory loss is common but communication difficulties, mood and personality changes occur
- Brief cognitive assessment tools allow GPs to identify possible cases of dementia
- National guidance recommends early referral for specialist assessment (preferably to a memory clinic or old age psychiatrist) to ensure timely and accurate diagnosis
- Timely diagnosis facilitates access to medication, information and support services