This report presents the findings of a survey of attitudes towards mental illness among adults in England undertaken in 2011. Questions on this topic have been asked since 1994.
The questionnaire included a number of statements about mental illness. Respondents were asked to indicate how much they agreed or disagreed with each statement.
Other questions covered a range of other topics including:
- descriptions of people with mental illness
- relationships with people with mental health problems
- personal experience of mental illness,
- and perceptions of mental health-related stigma and discrimination.
Download the survey report, appendices and dataset
- Attitudes to Mental Illness – 2011 survey report (PDF 176KB)
- Attitudes to Mental Illness Appendices (PDF 49KB)
- Dataset (MS Excel 53KB)