In this blog Professor Alistair Burns, National Clinical Director for Dementia for England, talks about fragility fractures and the association with dementia.
- 40-50% people with hip fractures have some form of dementia or cognitive impairment
- Rehabilitation is more of a challenge to people with dementia
- As part of the routine checks for people who are admitted with a hip fracture, they will now have an assessment of their memory and their cognitive function on admission and after their operation
- This enables a measure to be made on the presence of dementia or delirium
- This should lead to better rehabilitation care and better outcomes for dementia sufferers and their carers.