This report presents findings of a Torbay pilot project and recommends that all carers of newly diagnosed patients with dementia should be offered an enhanced health check at the time of diagnosis.
- All practices should examine their practice registers to identify people who may be caring for someone with dementia or confusion / memory problems.
- There should be agreed and consistent Read coding for memory problems for patients.
- All carers of newly diagnosed patients with dementia should be offered an enhanced health check at the time of diagnosis.
- Provide ongoing support for carers of people with dementia who are in poor health themselves.
- Ongoing awareness training is needed for all staff in practice teams with an emphasis on early identification of people with memory problems/confusion. Receptionists should be particularly targeted for this training.
- Torbay should implement an integrated statutory Carers’ Assessment based on the model from this project. This Carers Assessment will include the enhanced Health Check.
- Any future pilot should explore the cost effectiveness of alternative delivery models including the use of Health Care Assistants to carry out the Health Checks.