This group is open to anyone interested in joining a fun, relaxed and sociable dance group, but is particularly suited for people with memory problems or dementia and family carers.
The group is facilitated by Nicola Jacobson, a trained Dance Movement Psychotherapist specialising in working with people affected by dementia.
The dances are based around simple repetitive steps and movements that avoid reliance on memory. A wide variety of music is used, including familiar favourites and diverse world music. Dances are adapted to suit group members’ abilities and energy levels. Dances can be adapted to suit people’s mobility needs and in many instances people can remain seated. Time is built in to the structure of the session for people to enjoy refreshments and to have time to meet others and chat.
Cheltenham Circle Dance Group aims to:
- Create a fun and sociable environment
- Provide a form of exercise with the associated health benefits
- Sustain existing relationships
- Build new friendships
- Enable shared communication and creativity
- Provide opportunities for reminiscence
- Boost confidence and self-esteem