Alison Moon, regional champion for dementia care in hospitals, chaired a lively meeting of the South West general hospitals expert reference group in Taunton on Monday 24th January 2011.
Richard Gleave, Director of Programmes, NHS South West and Kate Schneider, Mental Health and Dementia Programme, NHS South West, opened the day by outlining the improvement challenge.
Carrie Morgan, System Development Programme Director, South West Development Centre, shared key messages from the findings from the National Audit of Dementia Care in General Hospitals.
Derek Dominey, Alzheimer’s Society, Stephen Thorpe and Rowan Purdy, South West Development Centre, facilitated a session to gather feedback on the promotional materials and implementation tools South West Hospital Standards for improving care for people with dementia or mild cognitive impairment while in hospital.
- Download the hospital standards report, promotional materials and implementation support tools at www.southwestdementiapartnership.org.uk/hospital-standards/
Rachel Thompson, Dementia Project lead, Royal College of Nursing, opened the afternoon session by informing people about the RCN project on the care of people with dementia in general hospital settings. The RCN is keen to identify and gather evidence of best practice that promotes dignity for people with dementia and improves understanding of dementia care in acute care settings. The RCN has recently launched a survey www.rcn.org.uk/dementia and responses are invited before 18th February 2011. Find out more about Dignity in dementia – transforming general hospital care.
During the final session ERG members shared good practice stories. These included:
- Frank Herrity, Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust, sharing good practice in mental health liaison underway in Bristol
- Sue Wood, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust, sharing good practice on developing dementia ward champions in hospitals
- Dr Chris Dyer, Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust, sharing good practice on developing a dementia charter mark in the hospital
- Maggi Douglas-Dunbar, South Devon Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, sharing good practice on developing dementia care training in hospitals
Alison Moon closed the meeting by summing up, anticipating the next meeting and the summer conference planned for 5th July 2011.