|Contact||Sandra Attwood, Modern Matron for General Old Age Medicine, Stroke and Neurology, Gloucester Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
|Address||Gloucestershire Royal Hospital Great Western Road, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1 3NN|
What is being done?
The work includes:
- Individual bed round based on a detailed assessment of the patient’s care needs.
- A checklist to inform that assessment has been developed, trialled and refined.
- The scheme is running as a trial until an evaluation of safety and quality outcomes is completed.
- Phased roll out within Medical Division, initially on 3 general medical wards, currently at phase 5 of roll out with many acute wards having implemented the trial.
What is new and different?
- PDSA approach to service improvement supported by Innovations Coordinator
- Multi-disciplinary, and has buy in across professional groups.
What difference this seems to be making
Initial results for Phase 1 of project:
- Reductions in falls
- Reductions in pressure ulcer development
- Improved patient experiences reported
Plans for taking the project forward
- Due to roll out to Unscheduled Care wards in the spring.
- Developing staff engagement
- E-learning package in development
- Exploring possibility of including Multi Disciplinary Team Care Rounding into Nursing Band 5 Role Transition framework
- Exploring the possibility of holding dedicated Nursing Mentor training
- Exploring the possibility for position as guest lecturer in the Under Graduate General Nursing Programme at the University of the West of England, Gloucester Campus